The goji berry has long been used by the Chinese to treat liver, kidney and eye diseases. As well, many Chinese people eat it like a supplement, believing it to be a kind of fountain of youth. Finally, the Western world is catching up with the wisdom of the Chinese, and are beginning to consume it, mainly in its dried or juice form.
What about you? Should you consider adding this superfood to your diet, or is it just another fad? Take a look at the following nutrients and health benefits of goji, and then judge for yourself.
Nutrients in the goji berry
- Very high in phytonutrients, including five kinds of carotenoids (like beta carotene)
- 22 trace minerals
- 18 amino acids, including the 9 essential (not made by the body) ones
- Essential fatty acids
- Phenols that give it its antioxidant properties
- 27,800 mcg/100g of zeaxanphim,a compound critical to eye health. To compare, egg yolk – considered to be a good “eye food” because of the zeaxanphim it contains – has 1253 mcg/100g of the compound.
Health benefits of the goji berry
- It can keep your hair from turning gray.
- It helps prevent tooth decay.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- It normalizes blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels.
- It can enhance memory.
- Goji has been shown to cause the death of tumor cells, and in studies aids in the healing of cancer.
- Because of its antioxidant properties, goji helps protect your DNA from damage.
- It can help in weight loss.
- It increases stamina and endurance.
- It helps prevent eye conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts, thought to be due to its high level of carotenoids.
Knowing all this, do you think the goji berry would be a worthy supplement to your diet? Definitely yes, especially if it is used in conjunction with other superfoods that provide a variety of nutrients and health benefits.
Masaji juice by Be Young Essential Oils is one of the very few products that combines goji juice concentrate along with other superfoods vital to optimum health and longevity, without any synthetic ingredients.
Click here for more information about and to order Masaji.